Sunday, October 26, 2008

Exercise Induced Asthma - a Vicious Cycle

What an amazing week this has been. Just last Sunday, I could not breathe and ended up in Urgent Care. Today I walked for an hour, up steeeeeep hills and didn't have to use my inhaler. Yay! I am so proud.

My friend 'A' has found a really beautiful walk around the suburbs of West Asheville. Yesterday was our first go at it. I didn't want to take my inhaler and resisted, but my chest became super tight and I felt very strained to breathe; not just a little, but a lot. I am learning that it is best to take the inhaler than to put that strain on my heart and lungs, so I took it.

The walk is a slightly challenging one. Slightly meaning, it was difficult the first time, but already easier the second time. I imagine that in no time it will seem super simple. My heart gets pumping. My breathing speeds up. I start taking off layers of clothing. A large portion of it is up, up, up...(think San Francisco type hills, several blocks up). It is a great nice workout.

I have realized over the last two days of taking a cardio walk that I need to walk every day, but to be reasonable, I'll settle for three times a week. :)

The thing is, I don't believe in 'exercise induced' asthma. I think it is simply a vicious cycle. Asthmatics don't exercise because they get asthma. Asthmatics get asthma because they don't exercise. Even though I had asthma yesterday due to the walk, I just knew that if I did it again I would increase my lung power. Doing it regularly, I believe, actually HELPS asthma.

It seems the time to start exercising is not only upon me, but has already begun.

Viva la lung power!

No comments: