Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cobbler Madness!

The raw food journey has been going great. I've not been 100% raw, but no matter - when I want something cooked I've been eating baked fish (salmon and tuna) and steamed veggies. I also had some vegan, gluten-free Amy's soups; I love her soups!

What I've realized is that in my attempt to eat as much raw as possible, I have inadvertently cut all dairy and wheat out of my diet, without even thinking about it. My diet has consisted of veggies, fruits, nuts, soups, fish and the occasional slice of toasted gluten-free, local bread with flax oil.

My absolute favorite new creation is the raw fruit cobbler. I've made them with peaches, cherries, blueberries - and I'm starting to wonder about a banana/coconut/raisin version...

The raw fruit cobbler is SUPER easy - as long as you have a food processor. It's an absolute GREAT way to get your daily recommended (2-4 servings) allowance of fruit per day - and a good amount of protein from nuts, too. Plus, they last for days, and provide a great sweet snack that is uber healthy.

My Latest: Peach, Blueberry, Cherry Cobbler

This is what it looks like a few minutes later. ;)

It doesn't even 'appear' raw. YUM.

Also, I've found that friends love them, no matter what kind of diet they keep. The cobblers are getting rave reviews! They are perfect for anyone - except those funny people who think that they shouldn't eat fruit because of its sugar content. (these are usually the same people that eat lots of cakes and candy, but trick themselves into thinking they don't!)

The truth is, fruit is full of vitamin C, water, fiber, and phytochemicals. We need fruit in our diet, and natural sugars do not make us want to overeat - how many people do you know that gorge on too much fruit??

Here is a 'general' fruit cobbler recipe - you can choose which fruits and nuts you'd like to use. The only other things you may need are dates, flax seeds or flax oil, powdered cinnamon, and raw agave nectar.

All you need is a baking pan or glass dish. No oil required.

The Filling:

Gather a few cups of your favorite fruits - peaches w/ cherries, or blueberries and peaches, or cherries with blueberries - or apples, strawberries or whatever fruit you like. The amount you'll want really depends upon the size of your dish. Experiment!

Cut up all the fruit, unless it's berries or something that doesn't need cutting. Take 1/2 of the fruit and puree it with your food processor with a few (2-5) cut up dates. You may add a bit of flax seed for crunch or flax oil for omega-3's if you like. I also add cinnamon and a teaspoon or so of agave nectar.

Take the rest of the cut up fruit and just mix it in with the puree so you have a good amount of chunky fruit goodness. Pour into the dish.

The Topping:

Take a cup or two of raw nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts), add cinnamon, a bit of agave, a few pitted and cut up dates (2-5) and a bit of flax oil, and process. The mixture will eventually become chunky and crumbly. Once this mixture is done, toss in a few whole nuts and process for a quick moment, so you have some big pieces to give it a great crunch.

Crumble the nut mixture on top.

Chill in the fridge for an hour or so - or eat immediately.

I have yet to find a better way to eat raw fruits every day. I love it!

Questions? Just let me know.

No comments: